Mgs-ians who are dedicated to save the environment

AFS Italy : Chandini

Bella Italia! If there was one word that I'd use to describe Italy, that would be it. Bella Italia! It means beautiful Italy. This trip enabled me to truly step out of my comfort zone as I ventured into a foreign land, meeting unfamiliar people and communicating in a foreign language. For the first time in my life, I got to experience, first hand, living with an Italian family and indulging in exquisite Italian cuisine. For the first time in my life, I got to live as an Italian. The year 2009 was definitely a very memorable year for me as I got to live in the very beautiful and romantic Italy.

 My Italian Host Family
   New Year's Eve 09/10
  Up in the mountains
 Italian Cafe
    St. Peter Square with my amici.
 My Farewell Dinner
   My Classmates
   Exchange students from South Africa and Malaysia
Enza (my friend) turned 16
                                                        Fontana di Trevi
      Gelato!!!!! The best ever from Giolitti's

The Colloseum
 Italians are one of the warmest people I've ever met. This whole journey has been great for me. I now technically have two homes to go to and I know that they are always there for me. Despite the communication problems I had, it was still a great experience. I never let the communication problem come in between us. This 2-month adventure was definitely worthwhile and I have NO regrets going for this programme. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter is now in Italy, on AFS, her experience has been very disappointing. First she was sent to a very remote and isolated village in the south. Her host family was nice but she had no one to help her out. The local volunteer was dismissive, rude and unprofessional. After 6 weeks she was sent south. I still do not have confirmation of her host family or school at this point. She is temporarily living in a better host city but she has to tolerate living with a chain smoker. If you can't tolerate second-hand smoke, as we all should not, this is tough. She specifically noted that on her AFS application... the lack of professionalism, communication and availability from AFS is unbelievable. She is totally not high maintenance and has traveled plenty in her 17 years... this has been a huge disappointment so far for us all.